Sunday, June 22, 2008

Boys: Mystery for the Mommy

I know I got more than I bargained for here. Every single day my boys do and say things that mystify me. I sometimes laugh until my sides ache, and other times I cry because I wonder where I went wrong. My boys have taught me so much, my life is so enriched by them.

When I first started dating Tim I heard stories from his mother and sisters, and some from him too. They were all detailed accounts of the unbelievably insane adventures that Tim had graced his family with growing up. One of my favorites was his unsuccessful leap from the top of the Holiday Market in Lake of the Pines when he was 18. He had to have his head stapled back together after the skin was sliced away from his skull when he hit the top of a brick retaining wall on the way down. Good Times.

The more time that goes by with our 3 boys, the more I realize that I am probably in store for some really awesome adventures as well. We've already had quite a few, but I'm sure the teenage years will make these days look like sweet heaven.

Today for example: Evan and Shawn decided the wanted to build a fort in Evan's room using every single pillow in the house. I watched the coordinated operation from down the hall. Shawn sitting on his knees in the doorway of the bedroom, Evan in the bedroom across the hall throwing each pillow to Shawn to stack them. "Wow, these boys are organizing and working together! Nice!" Then I watched further, Shawn would catch each pillow, throw it on the floor and PUNCH IT SEVERAL TIMES. While he was punching he'd be yelling out his own brand of ninja-like battle cries. I wanted to laugh, but I kept watching. Over and over, this was his job! Finally I had to ask: "Shawn, why are you punching the pillows?" He didn't realize I was watching. He got a little red-faced and giggled, then said "Because I'm the PUNCHING MACHINE!"

Now, silly me, being a girl and all... I didn't realize that in order to build a pillow fort you needed to have a punching machine.

I'm learning so much.